Preheat oven 375ºF/190ºC/Gas 5
1 Terinex large LOOK oven bag 35cm x 43cm
1½ to 2kg (3lb -5lb) topside of beef boned and rolled (your butcher will do this for you) ask him for any bits of beef for the demi glace
75cl (25fl oz) red wine
500g (1lb 2oz) diced mixed vegetables
5 cloves of garlic
1 bunch fresh Rosemary
1½ litres (2¼ pints) beef demi glace salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mixture of fresh vegetables: cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, green beans, mange tout, carrots
70g (2½oz)shallots very finely chopped
55g (2oz) butter
500ml (16 fl oz) red wine
300ml (10 fl oz) veal or chicken stock
Ingredients for the Demi Glace
Bits of beef and/or a beef stock cube
1 medium carrot roughly cut
1 medium onion roughly cut 150ml
¼ pint red wine and a little arrowroot if necessary
30g-35g (1-1½oz) chilled butter
1. Roughly chop the garlic and put into a non-metallic dish large enough to take the meat. Add the diced vegetables and red wine. Add the beef and roll it in the wine. Cover with clingfilm and leave overnight. Turn regularly.
2. Make the Demi Glace. Put any bits of beef you have into a large shallow pan with a little oil. Not too much oil or the sauce will be greasy. Add a roughly chopped carrot and onion. When the meat is brown just cover with water. If you do not have a lot of meat add a beef stock cube. Bring to the boil then simmer for about 10 mins. The stock should be reduced by about half. Add the red wine and reduce again by half. Put the sauce through a sieve and if necessary sieve through some muslin. Put into a clean pan and bring back to the simmer. Slowly whisk in the butter in small pieces until glossy. Add some chopped parsley. If the sauce seems a little too thin you may thicken it with a little arrowroot mixed with water. Do not add too much as this will spoil the flavour of the sauce.
3. Cut the fresh vegetables to the same size.
4. Remove the meat from the marinade, brush with a little olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Snip off the corner of the TERINEX LOOK OVEN BAG and place the meat in the bag and seal. Put into a roasting tin and cook for approximately 1½ to 2½ hours depending on how well done you like your meat. Allow to rest for 20 mins.
6. Remove the mirepoix (diced vegetables) form the marinade and sauté until brown. Add the wine and reduce by ¾. Add the Demi Glace and reduce to required consistency. Strain and season.
7. Serve with the fresh vegetables and sauce Bordelaise.
To Make the Bordelaise Sauce
Melt 1 oz butter. Add the finely chopped shallots and sweat off until soft but not brown. Add the red wine and on a medium heat reduce to ?. Add the veal or chicken stock and reduce by half until syrupy. Take off the heat and slowly whisk in the remaining butter.